Founders of UX Series
History of Instagram.
Instagram was launched back in 2010 by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger and since then it has grown dramatically.
How popular Instagram is as a social media platform can be understood by the fact that Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users who access the platform – with more than 500 million daily active users accessing globally..
Instagram is also known as the best place to advertise for free. Instagram ads are highly targeted and Instagram is now an important marketing platform for all types of brands.
Instagram was initially developed for iOS but Instagram for Android was launched later on. Instagram is also available as an application that can be used on Windows phones.
- Instagram has more than 1 billion monthly active users.
- Instagram ads are highly targeted and Instagram is now an important marketing platform for all types of brands.
- Instagram was initially developed for iOS but Instagram for Android was launched later on.
- Instagram is also available as an application that can be used on Windows phones.
Practical User Experience
When is Instagram commonly used?
Instagram is used by people all over the world to share their life moments with others. Instagram is very popular with teenagers – with users mostly under the age of 30.
Instagram is also getting increasingly popular among people who use the platform for business marketing. A tool that is very effectively used by businesses – making Instagram a great place to market your products and/or services.
Instagram allows you to create business accounts that allow you to post photos of your products and/or services along with other promotional content such as text and videos.
Are there any rules or tips to consider when using Instagram?
The main thing to remember when using a platform like Instagram is that it is a community of like-minded people… The ‘rules’ state that the content needs to be appropriate and authentic.
The following is some rules/tips that you should keep in mind when thinking about using Instagram as a platform for business as part of your User Experience strategy:
- Your Instagram photos should be of high quality and represent your brand and/or products well.
- Make sure not to use copyrighted images, watermarks or logos.
- You must not post misleading or inappropriate content.
- Instagram needs to be about real Instagram marketing. Treat Instagram as a community of people who communicate with each other.
- Users like to feel that they are part of your Instagram marketing efforts.
- Users obviously do NOT want to get spammed so you should share content that will interest them.
- You have limited space on Instagram — Even if you have put out very high-quality photos your Instagram post can still fail if it does not meet Instagram’s community guidelines.
UI/UX How To Series
How do you actually get started with an Instagram Account?
Instagram users include people from all over the world and of different age groups, gender and social standing. To create an Instagram account follow these steps:
- First, go over to Instagram’s website signup page.
- Type in your name into the ‘name’ box.
- Type in any email address that you have access to into the Instagram ’email’ box.
- Type in a password of your choice into the Instagram ‘password’ box.
- Click on the Instagram ‘Sign Up‘ button Instagram will then send an Instagram email verification link to your Instagram email address.
Why do UI/UX designers love Instagram?
Instagram needs to be thought of as an important digital channel for business which is why Instagram should also play a role in your UX, UI and/or Design strategy.
- Instagram can be used successfully as a tool that allows you to share moments.
- Instagram is a great way for businesses to connect with customers and Instagram has 100 million Instagrammers.
- Instagram is free to join and an important tool for User Experience.
- Instagram is about sharing photos/videos of moments that matter with the people who you care about. It’s great way to stay connected on a regular basis.
- Instagram is location-based so it allows you to share your life with others without having to edit or filter any images before you post them.
- Tons of users on Instagram who are active on Instagram daily.
- Instagram makes it super easy for people to find new products and services which they will love.
- Instagram makes it very easy for brands to get involved with their consumer base.
What are the types of posts that perform best on Instagram?
From a User Experience perspective our research has concluded that the following types of posts tend to perform the best when utilising Instagram as a platform:
People like images and videos (Instagram supports both but Instagram video tends to perform better).
- Instagram video size is limited to one minute.
- Instagram videos autoplay.
- Instagram allows you to create Instagram video ads as well.
Pictures with people’s faces
Instagram posts that contain images of people/faces tend to do perform better than those posts that only show objects such as products or services.
Tell a story
Instagram users like posts that tell a story, evoke emotions and inspire them.
When using Instagram for business the key thing to remember is be authentic and keep it real.
Is Advertising on Instagram an expensive exercise?
The Instagram advertising platform is a powerful way to market your Instagram Business. Instagram ads can be purchased on a cost per click basis or as part of Instagram’s Instagram video Ads options which are Instagram video ads that play automatically in users’ feeds.
Instagram Carousel Ads
Instagram also offers Instagram Carousel Ads which allows users to swipe through various images and includes up to three photos and a link or Call To Action button.
Instagram Carousel ads can be purchased for as little as $1.00 – $2.50 per every 1,000 impressions depending on the targeting settings.
Instagram Video Ads
Video Ads within Instagram Video Ad product typically cost $75 per every 1,000 video views.
Depending on your product and budget – Instagram Advertising can work out to be a very affordable platform for your marketing business.